Sunday, November 8, 2009

Zhenghua csc table tennis tournament!

Hello again! Today, tzechong, Terence, yuchen, morgan and I participated in the zhenghua csc table tennis tournament which was quite a disappointment for most of us. It was like any other table tennis competition, until we saw the fixtures list. Morgan and I were allocated to the same group in the first round! So both me and morgan knew that it was highly likely that we had to play for a spot to proceed to the next round. Then my mind was filled with SO MANY questions- What if one of us will get eliminated by the other? Will we still be friends? What if I cried after losing? What if he cried after losing? What if he laughs at me after winning? What if I laugh at him after winning? No la just kidding, of course not! Haha we both knew that whoever proceeds to the next round will obtain full support from the other.

So what were merely thoughts came to reality when we finally faced each other after playing with our other 3 opponents in the group. We both had to win to proceed to the next round…can u imagine 2 table tennis teammates fighting so hard with each other that they nearly threw their bats at the other party every time he won a point just to achieve a spot in the 2nd round merely because of the unlucky hands of some other person who balloted our names into the same group? Of course not la, we were like smiling half of the game rather than nearly throwing our bats at each other LOL. And I cant say that we were fighting for the spot because I got thrashed by him quite easily despite trying to play my best lol.

When I lost to morgan, off I went to emo at one corner, at home, refusing to eat or drink or rest or talk to anyone. No la of course not. I thought to myself what went wrong, I felt frustrated, blaming myself for not playing good enough, not playing the best I could, thinking that how can we win hci in nxt yr’s west zone comp if im gonna play like tht forever. And I forced myself to think that I caused my own loss. However, little did I know tht I was illusioned by the fog of my own failure to realize something much more significant (I hope that’s cheem), something which I was gonna realize soon enough. So I drowned off all my sorrows and frustration by playing with the rest who had all been eliminated from the tournament(they played very well too, just that I don’t want to elaborate). Soon the others decided to play basketball and asked me to tag along, with poor morgan continuing his quest in the tournament. But looking at morgan’s pitiful face and the tears welling up in his puppy eyes, I decided to stay behind to lend him my miraculously effective support, rejecting the much enticing basketball. As I watched and coached morgan’s play, and as the opponents he faced increased in difficulty, I saw in him the fire burning, the passion to win, the determination to succeed, the fighting spirit I so long desire. Just kidding haha. Actually, I saw that his table tennis skills were so refined and polished. And then did I realize that it wasn’t me that caused me to lose to him, it was him that caused me to lose to him!

Eventually, he overcame all odds(well, all but 3) and finished 4th in the tournament!(told u my support was miraculously effective) Everyone go congratulate him LOL. Now I feel that our table tennis team has moved a step closer to at least having a glimmer of hope(still a long way to go) to beating hci in nxt yrs west zone comp with such players improving with lightning speed. Haha and hopefully this will be the last time I ever disappoint my coach!

No comments:

Post a Comment